Is it time to spring clean your profile?
Are you feeling a little frustrated with your current dating situation? Does the whole idea of jumping online to meet a new love leave you somewhat flat? Have you even begun to think about having a break from the whole dating game?
Well before you do, think about changing things up and giving your online profile a spring clean. It will re-invigorate you and open up a range of new opportunities. Here are some key tips to give your profile an overhaul:
1. Use some fresh, new photos Online dating is very heavily influenced by the photos you use. Previous RSVP surveys have found that a profile with great photos will get eleven times more interest than profiles with no photo. So pull down those old pics and post ones that make you look great. Remember - first impressions count so give yourself every chance in this department.
2. Consider your online handle It may be time to think about changing your online name. You need to shake things up, and your current online handle may not be a good reflection of you (e.g. lovefox 99). This is a judgment call, but when giving your profile a spring clean - it could be something that needs attention.
3. Re-write your profile It's time again to re-visit your profile and consider how you want to present yourself to the world and what sort of person you want to attract. One of the great advantages of online dating is that you can be choosey and control how you want to be portrayed to other singles. So do some research and look at other people's profiles - and think about how to change yours up. Then have fun with it, be specific and stand out, and always always avoid making spelling mistakes and major grammatical errors.
4. Include new interests Take a moment to think about what you're now doing in your day to day life. Have you developed any new interests and passions? Have you been spending more time traveling or getting out to events and concerts? Look to include anything new in your life that will freshen up your profile and make it more reflective of your current lifestyle.
5. Get feedback from friends Finally, reach out to some trusted friends and ask them to look over your new profile. They will be able to give you their advice about what they think works and what doesn't. They have your best interests at heart, and know what you want moving forward. So listen and let them influence you.
John Aiken, RSVP dating and relationship expert, as seen on the hit show Married At First Sight, and on Ch 9’s Today show, Today Extra and A Current Affair. He is a best-selling author, regularly appears on radio and in magazines, runs a private practice in Sydney, and is a sought after speaker. (www.johnaiken.com.au)